Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Irish Baker (Variation)

Originally published as "Angelina the Baker" in 1850, this was an American bluegrass tune. The composer and lyricist was Stephen Foster.

Lyrics were:

Angeline the baker lives in our village green,
The way I always loved her beats all you ever seen.

Angeline the baker, her age is forty-three,
I bought her candy by the peck, and she won't marry me.

Her father is the miller, they call him Uncle Sam.
I never will forget her, unless I take a dram.

Angeline is handsome, Angeline is tall,
They say she sprained her ankle a-dancing at the ball.

She can't do hard work because she is not stout,
She bakes her biscuits every day, and pours the coffee out.

I'll never marry no other girl, no matter where I go.
I said I'd marry Angeline just twenty years ago.

The last time I saw her was at the county fair.
Her father run me almost home and told me to stay there.

It was then remodelled as an Irish Jig, and is now covered here by Van Credenza.





VCIB

No comments:

Post a Comment